The Unbanked Freelancers Hustle and Grind
February 26, 2023
Are you tired of the daily grind of a 9-5 job and dreaming of a career that offers the freedom to work from anywhere in the world? If so, freelancing may be the answer to your prayers. However, let’s not sugarcoat it – freelancing is no easy ride. It’s a career path that presents a unique set of challenges, from finding clients to managing your time effectively and dealing with tax and compliance issues. But don’t let these hurdles discourage you.
The joy of being your own boss and having complete control over your work life is second to none for many. Plus, the best part? You don’t even need a bank account to get started on your journey towards becoming a digital nomad. So, keep reading to discover some invaluable tips and tricks that will help you succeed in the world of freelancing and become the best digital nomad you can be!
One of the biggest challenges that freelancers face is being able to get paid once you have succeeded in securing a gig. Unlike traditional employees who have a steady stream of work provided by their employers, freelancers have to constantly hustle to find new clients and projects. This means networking, pitching services, creating portfolios and building a strong online presence. But for freelancers who are unbanked, finding work can be even more challenging as many popular freelancer platforms require a bank account to receive payment. It is also a challenge for individuals looking to hire a freelancer if they do not have a bank account, or a bank account network, linked to that freelancer platform site.
According to recent statistics, there are 1.4 billion adults worldwide who are unbanked, which means they do not have access to traditional banking services. That’s where Empowch comes in. Empowch is a mobile-first payments and financial services platform that provides a flexible solution for the unbanked. With Empowch, freelancers who are unbanked can receive payment for their work without needing a bank account, opening up new opportunities for them to find work and grow their freelance business.
But payment is just one of the challenges that freelancers face. Time management is another major obstacle. With no set work hours or boss to hold you accountable, it can be easy to get sidetracked or procrastinate. Establishing a routine, setting realistic goals, and sticking to a schedule is crucial for freelancers to succeed. Time management is a critical challenge for freelancers as it directly affects their productivity and income. Without a proper structure, freelancers may easily lose track of time, leading to missed deadlines and a decrease in the quality of their work and the ever dreaded “bad review”.
Here are some practical tips that can help freelancers manage their time more effectively:
- Establish a Routine: Creating a routine is essential for freelancers as it helps them to set clear boundaries between work and personal life. This includes waking up at the same time every day, scheduling breaks, and sticking to a routine work schedule. This can help you to stay focused and motivated throughout the day.
- Set Realistic Goals: Setting achievable goals is crucial for freelancers. It is essential to have a clear understanding of how much work you can handle in a given day, week or month. Setting unrealistic goals can lead to burnout and decreased productivity. By setting realistic goals, you can manage your workload and avoid overcommitting yourself.
- Prioritize Tasks: Freelancers should prioritize their tasks by importance and deadline. This can help them to stay on track and avoid wasting time on less critical tasks. It can also help you to identify and manage any bottlenecks in your work processes.
- Use Time Management Tools: There are many time management tools available online that can help freelancers to stay organized and focused. These tools can help with task management, time tracking, scheduling, and prioritizing. Some popular time management tools include Trello, Asana, RescueTime, and Todoist.
- Take Breaks: Freelancers need to take regular breaks to maintain their focus and creativity. Taking short breaks throughout the day can help to recharge your energy and avoid burnout. It can also help you to maintain your mental and physical health, which is essential for your long-term success as a freelancer.
Despite the challenges, freelancing offers many benefits such as the ability to work from anywhere and on a wide range of projects. It also provides a sense of autonomy and control over your career that is hard to find in traditional employment. So, if you’re thinking about taking the leap into the freelance world, don’t let the challenges scare you off. With the right mindset and a solid work ethic, you can build a successful career as a freelancer and enjoy the many rewards that come with it.
Being a freelancer is a rewarding but challenging career path, particularly if you are unbanked. However, with the help of platforms like Empowch, freelancers who are unbanked can receive payment for their work without needing a bank account. By providing a payments solution for the unbanked, Empowch is promoting equity and providing opportunities for those who may have been previously excluded from the global economy. So, whether you’re a writer, designer, or developer, take the leap and embrace the freelance lifestyle. The rewards are waiting for you!
Download Empowch today and discover how we can help you empower your pockets as a freelancer, even if you have no bank account.